Usually egg donation cycle is recommended for patients who do not have their own eggs (for example they have premature menopause) or egg cells due to genetic reasons and cannot be used during in vitro fertilization. Some of the recipients decide on the egg donation cycle after surgical removal of ovaries or because of chemo or radio therapy which significantly decreases fertility. It is also a method for patients who were born without ovaries. When in the past a couple experienced many standard IVF programs failures, egg donation cycle may be recommended as well.
As you can see, there are many various reasons for a couple to undergo egg donation. Patients who are considering this method should always first consult a specialists and undergo all necessary tests.
Below you may find the most common indications for egg donation:
- the woman’s ovaries have been infected in the past – that can cause serious disorders and patients may be later unable to produce their own eggs
- the woman underwent surgery in the past and her ovaries were removed
- lack of egg release that is a result of the early onset of menopause
- the woman’s eggs are of poor quality or too few in number
- the woman has already entered menopause but wants to have children and is physically able to get pregnant and give birth to a child
- the potential recipient has birth defects such as missing ovaries, or other serious anatomical disorders
- in the case of cancer when it demands removing ovaries or invasive therapy; after treatment if patients are healthy and want to become mothers, they can use donor eggs
- an option for same-sex couples that would like to be parents – then it demands a combination of egg donation and surrogacy
- if there is a serious risk the baby can inherit a genetic disease from its mother or a genetic disease after the genes of both parents are combined
- if former IVF programs using recipient’s own eggs failed repeatedly or a woman has experienced several miscarriages or when a couple has been diagnosed with unexplained infertility
Through years egg donation has become more and more popular. Also more and more people are using this procedures not only because it is accessible almost everywhere but also because the competition and high amounts of clinics abroad it became affordable for normal people. Furthermore it proves to be successful in building new families which could otherwise never exist. Remember that only medical consultation will help you make a good decision on your treatment. Listen to the doctors if there are serious implications that the procedure could injure your health do not try to work around it by finding a doctor abroad who will be more favorable, it could end not only with harming you but the future child.